Telephone language and phrases in English
How to answer and speak on the phone
Answering the phone
* Good morning/afternoon/evening, York Enterprises, Elizabeth Jones speaking.
* Who’s calling, please?
* This is Paul Smith speaking.
* Hello, this is Paul Smith from Speakspeak International.
Asking for someone
* Could I speak to John Martin, please?
* I’d like to speak to John Martin, please.
* Could you put me through to John Martin, please?
* Could I speak to someone who …
* I’m afraid Mr Martin isn’t in at the moment.
* I’m sorry, he’s in a meeting at the moment.
* I’m afraid he’s on another line at the moment.
Putting someone on hold
* Just a moment, please.
* Could you hold the line, please?
* Hold the line, please.
* I’m sorry, I don’t understand. Could you repeat that, please?
* I’m sorry, I can’t hear you very well. Could you speak up a little, please?
* I’m afraid you’ve got the wrong number.
* I’ve tried to get through several times but it’s always engaged.
* Could you spell that, please?
Putting someone through
* One moment, please. I’ll see if Mr Jones is available.
* I’ll put you through.
* I’ll connect you.
* I’m connecting you now.
Taking a message
* Can I take a message?
* Would you like to leave a message?
* Can I give him/her a message?
* I’ll tell Mr Jones that you called
* I’ll ask him/her to call you as soon as possible.